Latest News

★ Soham's a Better Actor : Dev | Times of India ★

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 , Posted by D i p at Tuesday, May 04, 2010

He’s not a great actor. He’s only half way up the learning curve. He’ll call himself a star the day he handles failures as well as his successes. He fears losing it all. He can’t help but bring on the waterworks. He doesn’t have a 4 am friend. His words, not ours. Yet Tollywood’s reigning No. 1, DEV, can still nix projects !


How has the journey been from Dev Adhikari to Tollywood’s hot property, Dev ?

• (Laughs) God has been kind. While I enjoy the love and attention lavished on me, at times, I do wonder whether I deserve all this! There’s a latent fear of losing it all. If it weren’t for the unconditional love of my groupie, my parents’ blessings and the hard work of my directors, I wouldn’t be the Dev I am. Full marks to Moni and Srikantda for sprucing me up.

Which Dev are you talking about — the actor or the superstar?

• Dev, the hard worker, who’s trying to be a good actor and also a superstar.

Tollywood film-makers have unanimously concluded that Dev is a fantastic dancer with awesome screen presence. Why is Dev, the actor, conspicuous by his absence ?

• I’m only half way up the learning curve. I’ve got to develop my acting skills and work on my diction. I’m not talented, but I am focussed and hardworking. Directors have taught me how to face the camera; they know I’m not a great actor. I vet a script 100 times over and rehearse at least 10 times before a take. Credit goes to the DOP for my larger-than-life screen presence. Hours of rehearsals manifest in the way I dance on-screen.

It’s said that people learn from the failures in life. Has Dev ever failed ?

• I will call myself a star the day I learn to handle failures as well as my successes. That’s not to say I don’t know what failure is. My first film, Agnisapath, was a disaster and hurtled me into depression. Then, I Love You happened. Despite the film being a hit, I was out of work for one-and-a-half years. But life took a 360° turn after Mon Mane Na. Before every film, I retrospect. I psyche myself up saying, ‘Dev, you have to do it!’

You are known to be a cry-baby, giving vent to your emotions when a shot is not up-to-the-mark…

• I can’t help but bring on the waterworks! I am passionate about my work and I don’t want directors making a concession because of below par performance.

What happened to the Dev-Subhasree pairing?

• Producers and directors are in a better position to answer this. Maybe, they feel, the screen pairing is no more a box-office draw.

Dui Prithibi and Le Chakka... are both with Raj Chakrabarty. You seem to be his favourite…

• Raj is a good friend and both of us hunger to do better. We gel well. By now, I’ve come to understand what he likes and dislikes and the same holds true for him. In Le Chakka…, I’ve only followed his instructions. Everyone was a little strung out about me sporting a stubble for the film, but Raj and I were confident about the look even if it meant bristling a few.

But didn’t Raj also famously say that Soham is a better actor…

• Raj is a friend and can honestly tell it like it is. Soham is definitely a better actor than me.

The gap between the releases, Bolo Na Tumi Aamar and Le Chakka…, is five months. Have you deliberately cut down on work?

• In the past four years, I’ve learnt the art of saying ‘no’. Quality matters over quantity.

Life must be lonely at the top...

• To some extent, yes. I don’t have a 4 am friend.

It’s hard to believe that Dev is still single…

• No, I am, very much !


News From : The Times of India (26.04.10)


Dev Fans Club © - #1 Dev Site Arou
nd The Web . Dev Rocks ....

Currently have 0 comments:

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment